Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The First Day of School

Today was the first day of school for Dash-1 and Dash-2!  Audriana and Haakon had mixed reactions to seeing their classrooms, teachers and waving good-bye to Mommy, Daddy and Espen.

Haakon was surprisingly easy.  I was expecting it to be harder to say good-bye to him than it would be to Audriana.  Not so.  He ran off to check out the toys and didn't even bother to say bye.  Talk about don't let the door hit you on the way out, Mom!  I was pleasantly surprised, relieved and sad at the same time.  The report at the end of the day was that he had a quivering lip most of the time...snuggling with the teacher and refusing to eat his lunch.  She said that any activity or item that appeared to remind him of home would make him a little teary and sad.  I know that the first week is the hardest, and I am hoping that he will warm up to his classmates and the idea of school as it progresses.

Audriana was a different story.  You would have thought that this was her very first day of school.  On the way to school she kept telling me that she didn't want to see her teacher.  "No Meesh Debbi, Mommy.  No shool, Mommy.  No kank you!"  Luckily she only cried for a couple of minutes after we left and ate ALL of her lunch and snack.  Then she got a hold of her brother's turkey sandwich on the ride back home and gobbled that up too!  Looks like she's on her way to getting that A+ in lunch!

Despite my hardest efforts to be prepared for the first day of school pictures, it was still hard to see that my babies are quickly toddling out of babyhood and fast into childhood.  I was not ready to see Haakon as a little boy, but I did anyway.  There were indeed less tears this year by all.

Here are some pictures that I took this morning:









1 comment:

Mike said...

So cute but tugging on the heart nonetheless.