Monday, May 28, 2012

Summertime around the bend

With our first summer in Southern Maryland just around the corner, we are excited to explore all the kid and family friendly opportunities around here.  When we told people that we were moving to Southern Maryland, we were faced with so many sympathetic smiles and whispered hugs that it was only going to a short time in the "boonies."  Well, in the few short months that we have been here, we have settled in here quite wonderfully.  And dare I say that we might actually be setting roots here?  Hmmm....

TJ Bridge...the kids LOVE "getting tall" on this bridge!


We have amazing neighbors with a neighborhood that has been such a wonderful blessing for our young and rambunctious big kids.  The backdrop of lush farmland, curious farm animals and beautiful water has been a great environment for our family and especially for our children.  I keep telling people that this area is very similar to the Pacific NW with the exception that there are no pretty mountains to admire (or springtime tulips and dahlias for that matter).  As much of a city girl that I am, I really do find myself enjoying the slower pace of country life and being calmer when I can't find things here that I know are easily accessible in the big city.  Yes, having to drive 60+ miles to the nearest Nordstroms', Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is a pretty much a drag, BUT the availability of access to our organic CSA farm here is incredible.  I LOVE being able to take the kids to the farm where we can see the fruits and vegetables that we will be eating grow.  I LOVE being able to point out the horses and cows pasturing in the fields on our drives to church and then hearing the big kids' squeals of delight.  And of course, being able to take the kids to a quiet air museum near base has also been a huge plus (ok, its not really quiet and Dash-2 has taken to wearing hearing protection when jumping into the car now).  But there is seriously so many incredible resources here in SoMd for the kids.  Its been fantastic for our children and for us as a family.  Now, if TPS would stop stealing Bjorn so often, life would be exsquisitely perfect!

To celebrate one year since my last delivery, I decided on a whim to run a 5k this Memorial Day Weekend.  Not to brag (ok, maybe a little bit...because I was so darn proud and excited), but I set a PR for my one mile time and came in under my goal time for the race :)



No comments: