I can hardly believe that one year has flown by so quickly. It seems just like yesterday that I was calling the Labor and Delivery Deck hoping that they would tell me to rush to the hospital right away because my baby was going to come NOW. Instead, they told me that I could come in if I wanted. I remember thinking that this did not help my cause because I have a husband who is INFAMOUS for his wait and see approach to medical situations and emergencies. I was dying to meet this little man and see what he looks like (and if he actually fell into the 13%). So after dinner, I said a sniffly goodbye to the big kids and left them in the safe, yet inexperienced, hands of Uncle Erik Roger, telling them that we would probably be sent home around 10pm or so. We got to the hospital and I was offered to be a medical guinea pig to yet another first year resident. After a flurry of nurses checking us in and getting our names and numbers, a familiar face finally shows up: the first year resident who delivered Haakon was the doctor on deck! Hooray! And she was now a 2nd year resident...finally a win! After a round of tests, one of which was an ultrasound to catch particular movements of baby for 30 minutes, it was determined that too many things were pointing in the direction of emerging emergency that I needed to be induced. No. No. No. This was not part of my birth plan. Pitocin was absolutely unequivocally stated that it was to be avoided at all costs (primarily because it bloats me up). And the C-word was not to be mention: caesarean. That was not an option. I would WILL this baby out before I would have a doctor make any sort of incision on my belly. At the options that I was given, Pitocin seemed the most benign and I gave in....despite knowing that my first pictures with baby was going to be bloaty. Ah, sacrifice.
I remember being terribly cold and my teeth chattering together as Bjorn and I were being given our options for the night. I think both the doctor and Bjorn thought that my teeth were chattering because I was so upset. No, that was not the case. It was because the triage room was set to a balmy 58 degrees and apparently, I was the only who was cold at this temperature! Then we were moved to our labor and delivery room. I had to remind all the nurses that despite all that pitocin that they were pumping into me, I was not interested in any sort of narcotic or epidural during my labor and delivery. The nurses, who I am sure have heard this mantra by many laboring mothers only to beg for said drugs hours later, gave me a patronizing um-hmm. I labored all night with Pitocin hooked and dripped to me. Bjorn squeezed into bed with me to try to comfort me. Then my L&D nurse came in to check on me and sternly pointed to the cot next to the wall and said, "Sir, that is your bed." I snickered. And then I a contraction hit. I kept telling them that if they broke my water, I promised that everything would go smoothly and that baby would make an appearance VERY shortly thereafter just like my other two babies. I PROMISE. After 4 hours of pitocin, they finally broke my water. And 30 minutes after my water was broken, Baby Espen Terak made his debut! And what a debut it was: bruised, blotchy and screaming mad! He came through the birth canal so quickly that his face was black and blue and his eyes had broken blood vessels. Poor guy. Like his sister and brother, he came out hungry and ready to nurse :) We were incredibly blessed and fell in love all over again with another baby.
Happy birthday to my dear sweet Espen boy! You are an amazing baby who has held Mommy, Daddy, Audriana, Haakon and even Scout captive with your sweet gummy smiles, contagious belly laughs, unending appetite and curiosity. From the moment you were born, we surrendered our hearts to you. In it, you will find all our hopes and dreams for you and most importantly, our never-ending love for a beautiful spirited son like you. We have waited and wanted you for forever. Wherever your dreams take you, follow them and always know that we are never far behind. The next few years will be filled with adventures, delights, fears and tears. But with your big sister and brother to help teach you the ropes, we know that you will be just as mischievous as them and bring just as much laughter, love and joy to us and our family. Whatever you chose to do in life, may God always shine his blessings on you, son. To the first of many, many, many wonderful birthdays, Espen Terak.



No comments:
Post a Comment