Monday, October 19, 2009

Contentment


Last week, we had Grandma and Grandpa Te come visit us and our new home. We LOVED having them visit. And just to make sure their visit was as exciting as Grandma and Grandpa Anderson's visit, the Maxima broke down the day they arrived. We were rescued by Bjorn and a handy tow truck. I was very grateful that Grandma and Grandpa were with us and that Bjorn was just a phone call away to play the role of knight in shining armor (though, the shining armor was by way of a Toyota Previa...aka "covered truck" as Bjorn fondly calls it).

Audriana really enjoyed her visit with her grandparents and they absolutely fell in love with her all over again. Like Grandma and Grandpa Anderson's visit, a visit by her adoring grandparents always yields some pretty presents. Grandma and Grandpa Te took Audriana on a shopping spree for some fall/winter clothes. And at the shopping mall, believe or not, we saw baby gators in the pond between the shops and freeway! They were tiny, about 5 inches long from nose tip to tail. I had to hussle Grandpa into the car as soon as I saw them because if there are baby gators, there's bound to be a mama gator around...and I had no interest in meeting her! We took Grandma and Grandpa to the beach, showed them around Jacksonville, Avondale, San Marco, St. Augustine, and of course our neighborhood. They loved it all! Grandma and Grandpa even baby sat for us so that Bjorn could take me out to celebrate my birthday. It was so lovely. We had to remind Grandma and Grandpa that even though they came to Florida to visit their granddaughter, not to forget to tell people that they saw us, their children, too! I will be posting pictures of their trip soon. Stay tuned....Grandma and Grandpa took over 125 pictures in a span of 4 days and that DOES NOT include video footage. Talk about love and adoration!

On another note, at church this Sunday, the Pastor's sermon was about contentment. I really enjoyed it and really made me think about the things in life that made me CONTENT and not just happy. I do believe that happiness or unhappiness is a state of temporary being whereas contentment is about the state of overall being. As we arrived into church on Sunday, we were given a little key tag. I wanted to post the message on the key tag on this blog to share with you the meaning of contentment in our lives. I hope, as you read it, there rings a truth of recognition in your heart and mind.

CONTENTMENT: "Lord, help me to be grateful for what I have, to remember that I don't need most of what I want, and that joy is found in simplicity and generosity."
-Enough by Adam Hamilton.