Friday, September 28, 2012

Nostalgia

Tonight I received one of the sweetest emails from a very dear friend.  We became friends when I first became a Navy wife and a newbie to the Pacific NW.  She was so wonderful in welcoming me into the neighborhood.  Quite honestly, I was scared out of my mind about being alone in a state where my husband was about to be deployed, I had a new job and I knew not one soul in our new duty station.  Her matter-of-fact-can-do attitude made me feel so competent and supported.  She and her husband and their sailor dog were always free to help with anything I needed.  It was like having family living in the neighborhood.  

My life as a law student and then new mom had many hills and valleys.  It had me traveling back and forth between the Midwest and Pacific Northwest often.  I was always excited to find out what was going on with our neighbor friends.  As the years progressed, I made the Pacific NW my permenant home (or as permanent as it could be in the Navy).  It was so wonderful and I was so tickled when she made time to teach me to knit.  I remember I would do a good number of stitches in front of the TV and then mess-up.  Inevitably, I would always end up running down to her house so that she could help me figure out what I had done wrong. I sure miss being able to do that.  Saying goodbye was so hard when we got our new orders.

Our life has changed so much since my days in La Conner.  Being in Southern Maryland has me feeling so nostalgic for my life in La Conner....I think about the things I would show to the kids in La Conner or the trips we could take on the ferry to the San Juan Islands.  Or perhaps run down to K's house and show her one of the Dashes' latest tricks.  Maybe one of these days, the Daddy bear will get some time off and I will quit being fearful of taking the kids on a long airplane ride and we can bring the Dashes out West to show them the early years of our lives and meet our lovely friends.

Scout perched on the bay window looking and waiting for Sailor to come out....or a pesky raccoon.  

Venturing out to check out the tulip fields with my baby girl during the Tulip Festival.

The front of our first house right before we put it up on the market.  I couldn't have stained the deck without K taking Audriana and entertaining her.
To K: I've never stopped missing you and don't want to either.  The email was wonderful and thank you to you and B for all those sweet memories!

No comments: