We are so excited to announce the newest addition to our family: Espen Terak Anderson! He made his debut on May 18th, weighing in at 7lbs. 10 oz. and 21 inches long.
We almost got our drug-free labor and delivery...due to some unexpected complications, I had to be pumped full of pitocin hours before I could deliver. This was the one drug that I did not want for reasons of pure vanity: I puff out like a beached whale! Bjorn thinks its a silly reason for it, but I have seen the pictures after a dose of pitocin and it is not a pretty sight (see the picture below). But other than that, the hospital staff was pretty fantastic about respecting my wishes of no epidural or narcotics! And its not that I think that I'm super woman and too good for drugs (in fact, at my first delivery, I distinctly remember telling my nurses that drugs were my friend...while Bjorn eye's were bulging from surprise...drugs weren't suppose to be part of our birth plan with Audriana's delivery), but rather it is the fear of the epidural itself (the procedure and that it will fail to take effect) that has me laughing in the face of childbirth pains!
And actually, its not too bad...given the fact that I delivered this baby 30 minutes after my water breaking with the nurse yelling for the doctor to come into the room and the labor and delivery staff trying to break down the room for delivery as quickly as possible. Everything happened so quickly (despite me telling everyone and their mother that I go extremely quick) that my doctor did not make it time for the delivery...she missed it by 6 minutes! However, the doctor who delivered Haakon was the same doctor who delivered Espen. It was wonderful to have a familiar face.
So around 6AM, Espen made his debut and joined our little family. We couldn't be more excited or in love. His sister and brother are completely in love with this little guy and shower him with kisses and gentle touches. Audriana loves to have him in her lap and shush him sweetly. Enjoy these pictures...more to come soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment