One: the kids LOVE cream cheese and bagels for breakfast (toasted cinnamon raisin mini-bagel with plain Philly cream cheese);
Two: they are fiends when it comes to cinnamon swirl bread (toasted with light butter);
Three: I will likely need to take out a second mortgage to support their new breakfast habit.
I am sure that many of you are probably wondering how I stumbled about this "discovery." Well, I was reading one morning in the American Academy Pediatrics handbook for infants and toddlers. It stated that its a good idea to include some cream cheese (or really some diary) in their diet during snack time. I took the idea one step further because our grocery store was having a special on mini-bagels and added bagels to the equation. Presto!
On another note, it was a beautiful day in Florida today. Bjorn thought it would be super fun to give the kids Twizzlers as an afternoon, before nap-time, treat. I think his generosity with the treats has to do more with the fact that he won't get to spend Valentine's Day with the kids tomorrow and less with it being super fun. Anyways, I snapped a few pictures of the kids with Daddy and their Twizzlers.
The babies love their Daddy and can't wait to give him his Valentine's Day present soon...details to come!
Since I have made this discovery, we have gone through 2 tubs of cream cheese, one bag of approximately 12 mini-bagels, 2 loaves of cinnamon swirl bread...and that was only during the first week, my friends! And I might mention, that no where during the multi-course breakfast do I get to eat. Because if I do, the kids come running back to the table to eat what I have on my plate. I usually have to give it three tries each morning until I give up and go eat in the corner somewhere...wolfing it down before my kids can come running with their mouths wide open!
To curb this enthusiasm (or least control our family spending on it), I started thinking about trying my hand at bread making. We do not have a bread machine (or a stand-mixer with paddle/hook) and generally, anything involving yeast has always scared me a little bit (since it is likely that I would probably boil the little critters to death, instead of gently waking it up in a warm sugary solution before it has a chance to do its magic in my baking). But after doing extensive internet research for "amazing cinnamon bread," I came upon a recipe that sounded delicious and not too difficult (except for the yeast part, of course). I gathered up my courage, called my amazing friend Kelly for some yeast (I had everything else on hand, except for the essential ingredient), and got cooking yesterday afternoon.
Amazingly, the yeast survive my sugary solution and did its magic! The bread came out beautiful and super scrumptious! There is nothing like having the sweet aroma of cinnamon and bread wafting through your home. The best part was that Haakon LOVED the bread and kept asking for more this morning. Audriana took a slice, but requested for more bagel with cream cheese. So, here are the pictures I took of my first "real" bread (banana bread and other quick breads can't count!). Those of you lucky enough to live in MN just might even get to try this cinnamon bread as I think I am going to try to make it again there!
Amazingly, the yeast survive my sugary solution and did its magic! The bread came out beautiful and super scrumptious! There is nothing like having the sweet aroma of cinnamon and bread wafting through your home. The best part was that Haakon LOVED the bread and kept asking for more this morning. Audriana took a slice, but requested for more bagel with cream cheese. So, here are the pictures I took of my first "real" bread (banana bread and other quick breads can't count!). Those of you lucky enough to live in MN just might even get to try this cinnamon bread as I think I am going to try to make it again there!
Oh, and one more thing: Audriana has also just discovered the deliciousness of BACON! When she sees it, she "ooohs" lovingly and quickly snatches it up and eats it. Wonder where she inherited that affinity for bacon. Hmmm.
| The result of an afternoon's hard work--cinnamon swirl bread at 11:40PM. |
| Close-up of that yummy goodness! The kids gobbled it right up at breakfast this morning. |
On another note, it was a beautiful day in Florida today. Bjorn thought it would be super fun to give the kids Twizzlers as an afternoon, before nap-time, treat. I think his generosity with the treats has to do more with the fact that he won't get to spend Valentine's Day with the kids tomorrow and less with it being super fun. Anyways, I snapped a few pictures of the kids with Daddy and their Twizzlers.
The babies love their Daddy and can't wait to give him his Valentine's Day present soon...details to come!
| Our baby enjoying her swing and a Twizzler together...courtesy of Daddy. |
| Our other baby enjoying his regular swing with remnants of Twizzlers around his mouth. |
| Poking Daddy with a Twizzler before he leaves. |
| With Twizzler juice all over her hands and face, Daddy thought it might be a good idea to take off his shirt to hug his baby girl bye-bye. He was right. |
No comments:
Post a Comment